States with Legalized Gambling: In India, the legality of gambling varies by state. Some states have legalized certain forms of gambling, while other states have banned them altogether.
As of my knowledge and research, Goa and Sikkim along with 13 states have legalized gambling. Goa has a number of casinos and offshore vessels that offer casino gaming, while Sikkim has a number of lottery outlets and a licensed online lottery.
It’s worth noting that gambling is still considered a controversial issue in India, and the laws and regulations surrounding it can be subject to change. Additionally, enforcement of these laws can be inconsistent, and illegal forms of gambling persist in some areas.
How many states have legalized gambling
In India, gambling is generally considered a criminal offense. Still, the Central Government has granted permission to the State Governments to make their own decisions regarding the legalization of lotteries through the Lotteries (Regulation) Act 1998.
States with legalized gambling:-
Let’s take an overview of the Government Lottery schemes available in each Indian state are:
- Arunachal Pradesh: 7 weekly schemes run by the Directorate of Arunachal Pradesh State Lotteries.
- Assam: 13 daily projects run by the Bodoland Territorial Council.
- Goa: 5 weekly and monthly schemes run by the Directorate of State Lotteries.
- Kerala: 14 weekly and annual projects run by the Lottery Department.
- Madhya Pradesh: Lotteries will be legalized again starting August 23, 2021.
- Maharashtra: Over 10 daily, weekly, monthly, and annual schemes run by the Department of Finance.
- Manipur: 21 weekly schemes run by the Directorate of Lotteries.
- Meghalaya: Government lottery not conducted since 2007, but not outlawed.
- Mizoram: 14 weekly, monthly, and annual schemes run by the Institutional Finance and State Lottery.
- Nagaland: 4 weekly schemes run by The Directorate of Nagaland State Lotteries.
- Punjab: 16 weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual projects run by the Lottery Department.
- Sikkim: 14 weekly projects run by the Directorate of Sikkim State Lotteries.
- West Bengal: 13 weekly and annual projects run by the West Bengal State Lottery Directorate.
States where Gambling is Illegal
In the above picture, we show all red areas of the Indian States and Union Territories have banned playing the lottery:
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli|
& Daman and Diu
How to Buy a Government Lottery Ticket in India?
Follow these 5 easy steps to purchase a government lottery ticket in India:
- Inquire with the State Lottery Department regarding the available lottery options.
- Select a lottery option that you can afford.
- Go to an authorized ticket dealer or agent to obtain the paper ticket.
- Ensure to jot down your name and address on the back of the ticket.
- Anticipate the draw date and cross your fingers for luck.
How to Check State Government Lottery Results?
To obtain State Government lottery results in India, refer to the official website of the State Lottery Department, where both past and current results are posted. The Department also announces the results of State lotteries in prominent local newspapers. In some cases, the draws of State lotteries may even be streamed live on YouTube, enabling players to stay updated with the results in real time.
If the Lottery Can be Legalized, Why Not Matka Gambling?
Satta Matka has a widespread history in India, despite being banned by the central government. Illegal gambling dens continue to thrive in many states, providing a livelihood for those involved.
Efforts by the central government to crack down on these operations have been largely unsuccessful, making the legalization of matka gambling, similar to the lottery, a complex and challenging task. However, the government aims to regulate and formalize the trade by introducing a system of legalization and granting more control to the states.